Everything is up in the air

Everything is up in the air

Everything is up in the air

When things in my life become unpredictable I often like to do predictable things.  This month has been filled to the brim with unpredictable events.  I have been looking for a new place to rent in Seattle, not exactly an easy thing to do.  We were thinking about trying to buy but with me not working full time anymore that has been put on hold.  At least until I get a job.  Each week this month we have had 2-3 showing of the house.  This means that there are a lot of strangers coming in and out of the entire house.  Note to those having their house shown: take all your valuables that are about pocket size out of the house.  Each day I am waiting on hearing back from jobs or landlords regarding our potential future.  Many days this week my stomach has been in knots and I feel frantic with anxiety.  It is the things that we don’t plan for that can have so much impact on our lives.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

So this week to make my life a little more normal I have been doing a few things that make me feel comfortable.  I have been making food, cooking my favorite comfort foods and baking dessert after dinner.  I love when my house smells like warm food.  I have been cleaning my house daily.  Our house may be a little small and therefore cluttered with our things but at least it is clean.  I like my house clean, also I don’t want complete strangers thinking that we are slobs.  To top it all off I have been knitting.

three times as cute

Three times as cute

Knitting makes me feel like I am in control.  Probably because I don’t really knit from patterns.  I just knit what I want.  Last week my mom, my sister and I went to pick out yarn for their Christmas gifts.  This year I am giving them scarves and I wanted them to choose the yarn for their gift.  As always I didn’t use a pattern I just cast on a few loops, knitted some rows and then did it again and again till I got what I was looking for.  Maybe not really in control but at least I get to call the shots when it comes to what is on my needles.  I have been finishing at least one knitting project a day.  Some projects are those boxes of unfinished work and others are new ones that just happen.

95% of things in my life are not in my control, like the weather or what other people do.  That leaves only 5% that I am in control of.  So this week I am going to try not to worry about the things that I cannot control and focus on the things that I can.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Advertisements